Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Is it really November already?

It's been a while since I've written anything.  I've always had road journals, blogs, diaries, poems...hell, I could tell a story through my photo collection alone.  Somehow I've gotten away from it, which is too bad.  I figured jumping on the 30 Days of Thanks bandwagon for November was as good a reason as any to organize my thoughts and start documenting my life again.  Obviously I'm a few days behind the ball, which should surprise no one, so I'll play catch up in the first couple of posts.

It is rather convenient that I have to cover a few days at once here, because I could not live without the first three things on my list: my mom, my dog, and my boyfriend. 

My mom is absolutely my best friend, and my favorite travel companion.  She has always supported me in whatever I do, and she sacrificed so much when I was growing up to make sure that I never went without.  She taught me how to work hard and earn the things I wanted, so that I would appreciate them infinitely more.  I am happy to say that as an adult I am finally able to give back to her in some way, whether it be planning a major cross country road trip, a surprise birthday celebration, or just a girls' day out.  I know we have a million more memories in store for us, but hopefully no more close calls with the boys in blue.  Did you know it's a federal offense to write your initals on the St. Louis Arch?  We do now.  And she'll NEVER let me live that down.

Me & Mom at Theodore Roosevelt Park in North Dakota


My dog.  My fuzzy little Odysseus. 
Two years ago when I had to give up my Thoroughbred, my heart was shattered.  I felt like I had just given a family member away, and it was devastating to fall short on the promise of a forever home.  I know I did the right thing, he needed to be retired and I could not afford to keep him, but that didn't make it any easier.  I quit riding and stayed away from horses for quite some time; I kept myself busy and tried not to think about it.  I could have never guessed my saving grace would be a little cottonball with a penchant for shitting under tables.
Josh and I had been looking to adopt a puppy, and we found ours in June 2012.  He is the best thing that has happened to us, and the worst thing to happen to our shoes.  He is such a mama's boy, which is fine by me.  I once again feel the unconditional love and loyalty that only an animal can give, and I take every opportunity to bond with and spoil him so that he knows the feeling is mutual.  He may even edge out horses in that he fits in my sedan, and he sleeps in bed with us.  Tucked in and on his own pillow, I may add.  :)

Odie at "his" beach last fall


Last for today, but certainly not least, is Josh.  He has made the last four years of my life unforgettable, and I love him with all of my heart.  I think the most prominent effect he has had on my life is helping me realize not everything is a big deal all the time.  For someone who can make an entire mountain range out of an ant hill, that is priceless.  He is silly and childish, yet wise beyond his years.  There's no one quite like him, and I'm so lucky to call him mine.  You know you've found a keeper when the first thing he says to you is, "What do you mean you're a vegetarian?  What the hell is wrong with you?"  Guys, try that as a pick up line sometime.  See what happens.

Me & Josh at my first Sox/Yankees game

1 comment: