Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

On this day of family, football, and food comas, I thought I would procrastinate housework by posting about totally irrelevant things. 

I think it's bullshit that stores are open today.  I remember being a kid and not even being able to stop at Dunkin on the way to my grandparents' house because holidays were actually honored.  Now, you can go get a coffee on the way to shop until you drop, followed by a meal in a restaurant where people have been pulled away from their families for less than $3 an hour.  Granted, some employees heading in today would rather be there than at home, but please, if you go out, be super extra nice to people, maybe overtip a little, and be thankful for your day off. 

Our Thanksgiving festivities will be at Josh's aunt's house, where there are three dogs that rival the cuteness of our own; one who gives (almost) too many licks, one who is equally graceful and adorable as he jumps from lap to lap for affection, and one who is a little bastard that will lay across the room from you, growling and crying until you come rub his belly.  It's like home away from home, and I can't wait to go.

Josh just made the biggest sacrifice of his week and changed the channel from ESPN to NBC for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  That's how you know a man loves you; he will endure lip syncers "butchering a perfectly good song" because he knows it makes you happy.  I have been watching this parade most of my life and even though it's super cheesy, it's tradition.

I had a great time at the barn last night, Lucy definitely keeps me on my toes but I am getting a pretty good feel of her and both times she acted up I knew it was coming.  That's the beauty of Thoroughbreds, they can be a handful but more often than not their back gives them away.  Maddy and I had a successful tack cleaning party in the pub, I think we are as ready as we will be for the show Sunday.  Horse friends for the win, by the way.  They are the best.

Okay, I am falling victim to the death glares coming from the can of Pledge and the vacuum.  I must go make my inhabitance inhabitable.  I hope everyone enjoys their turkey, tofurkey, turducken, steak, or whatever the hell you eat today.  I will be eating my weight in stuffing.  And cranberry sauce, cornbread, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes.  And stuffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment