Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Hot Mess in a Sundress

Today's blog is brought to you by the Maltipoo on my shoulder and the Puggle snoring contentedly next to me on the couch.  We have not quite achieved puppy palooza, as the Maltese is enjoying his nap downstairs, but I'll take what I can get. 
Furthermore, I am feeling a bit better today and am savoring my first coffee in almost a week.  What a bad time to have a cold.  There is too much going on right now for my days to be a blur of Zicam, Dayquil, tea with honey, and tissues.  Boxes and boxes of tissues.

As I mentioned in my last post, I now have two jobs.  Monday was orientation for the café, which went pretty well.  I won't lie, I was a bit frightened by some of the other people there, but I am trying so hard not to judge books by their covers.  I just kept my mouth shut and reminded myself that it takes all kinds of kinds.  Thanks, Miranda Lambert.  The training runs Monday through Saturday, then we open the following Monday (Dec 9th).  Since attendance is mandatory, I requested mornings off at the restaurant for next week, which wouldn't be a big deal except...

Yesterday during lunch our GM flipped out because the day bartender was causing a lot of people to leave unhappy.  He came flying into the kitchen, where I was rolling silverware, and points to me. 
"You've been a bartender, right?"
"Yes."
"Good.  Start learning the drink recipes, your bar training starts next week."
"Sweet!"  (Fist pump, look of disbelief, shit-eating grin.)
Needless to say, I am pumped.  Being a bartender at this restaurant is a coveted position, and I'm absolutely positive I will piss people off by becoming one so suddenly in my tenure there.  Fortunately, I am there to make money, not friends, and I don't care.

Did anyone else notice that now next week has two major training schedules?  I did.  I am having a sit-down with the restaurant GM today about my bar training, and I will let him know of my café training so hopefully I can work the two around each other.  What a conundrum to have, and how fortunate I am to call it mine.

In other news, I AM RIDING IN A HORSE SHOW THIS WEEKEND.  It has been probably five years since I have done so, and I can't even get over how excited I am.  I will be riding this afternoon and then having a tack cleaning party tonight with some barn friends.  I feel like a little kid again, except I do not have to use an entire bottle of Quik Silver on a schoolie's legs only to find them yellow again the next morning.  (Instead now I ride a horse who likes to get manure stuck behind her ears and then laugh at you as you try to reach them).

My house is an absolute disaster at the moment, though I did manage to do two loads of laundry yesterday.  I desperately need to dust and vacuum, but I keep finding other little projects to do.  I can't wait until I can fall back into a routine; change is great, but I feel like I am so all over the place right now.  That said, I am going to gather myself together and get ready for work.  I will leave you with items 24 through 28 (may as well get a day ahead) on my November list:

24. Patience (both the GnR song and the virtue)
25. Coffee
26. "You can't remove fear, it's what you do with it." - Leroy Jethro Gibbs
27. Time management skills
28.  Perspective

Sometimes we get to meet our heroes


Sometimes we even dress a bit like them


Never turn down a dance with a bear


Even if he looks like Poo(h)


Piglet is such a ham

No comments:

Post a Comment